From: Hubert Williamson <Hawk1857@Yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Feb 26, 2001 at 20:44:45
Subject: Teaching strategy for slow learners

As a long term substitute teacher working on teacher certification, I recently inherited three groups (total of about 90 students) of 6th grade math students who are classified as slow learners. The students have not had a regular teacher since October of last year. Discipline is low in 2 of the classes and almost nonexistent in the other. I have 11 weeks until the end of the school year. Several of the students have a grade average for the semester (two week left in this semester) below 40. 75+% of the students have a failing grade at present. Performance reports of the students, that I received today (my second day with the classes) indicate that I have nine students with math skill at about 2nd grade level. 80% of the student are performing below 6th grade level, but one student is operating at an 11th grade level. What strategies can I use that will allow me to save as many of these student as possible with only 11 weeks left?

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/