From: Tim G. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 01, 2001 at 13:31:21
Subject: Re: Math literature

There are a lot of great books out there. One of my favorites, although not specifically about measurement, is "The Number Devil" by Hans Magnus Magnus Enzensberger, Rotraut Susanne Berner (Illustrator), Michael Henry (Translator). It is a wonderful story about a boy who is visited in his dreams by the Number Devil who explains the ins and outs of mathematics and numbers to him. Another great book is "The Librarian who Measured the Earth" by Kathryn Lasky, Kevin Hawkes (Illustrator). It tells the story of the librarian of the Alexandria Library in Ancient Egypt and his quest to measure the circumference of the earth (which he did with amazing accuracy). It is a picture book and a great read for kids. "How Much is a Million" is another great book (I am not sure of the author). These are three of the best books I have found on math in general. "How Much is a Million" is quite easy to read, but leads to some great discussions (how much rice is a million grains? How big of a space would you need to hold a million people?) Enjoy! -Tim G., for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/