Q&A #596

Factor-Label Method

View entire discussion

From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 25, 1998 at 07:26:39
Subject: Re: Factor-Label Method

Factor-Label is a fairly simple process. It essentially means that the student multiplies by quantities of one. For example, if I wanted to convert 20 cm to ____ km? I would set up the problem with the appropriate conversion in terms of "ones" as follows: 20 cm X 1m/100cm X 1km/1000m = Deciding whether to multiply by 100cm/1m or 1m/100cm depends upon which unit of measurement you would like to "cancel out". Your daughter must learn the basic conversions like 1m = 100 cm, 1000g = 1 kg, etc. Once she understands those relationships, then she can set up the appropriate factor-label that she needs to convert from one type of measurement to another! Hope this helps! -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®