Q&A #6008

Unit 7 of the Everyday Math Curriculum

View entire discussion

From: Kristina (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 11, 2001 at 13:34:24
Subject: Re: Unit 7 of the Everyday Math Curriculum

Hi Lydia, Gail sent you a great reply a few weeks ago explaining the value of doing activities with the 100's chart. I just read your question and wanted to make sure that you were able to connect the activities you would be doing (probably have already done) with the Math TEKS. So, I searched on the Web to find out that TEKS stands for Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills. Here are some connections I found in the Grade 2 Math TEKS: 111.14. Mathematics, Grade 2: http://www.tea.state.tx.us/rules/tac/ch111.html#s11114 (2.1) Number, operation, and quantitative reasoning. The student understands how place value is used to represent whole numbers. The student is expected to use concrete models to represent, compare, and order whole numbers (through 999), read the numbers, and record the comparisons using numbers and symbols (>, <, =). (2.5) Patterns, relationships, and algebraic thinking. The student uses patterns in numbers and operations. The student is expected to: (A) find patterns in numbers such as in a 100s chart; (B) use patterns in place value to compare and order whole numbers through 999; (C) use patterns to develop strategies to remember basic addition facts; and (D) solve subtraction problems related to addition facts (fact families) such as 8 + 9 = 17, 9 + 8 = 17, 17 8 = 9, and 17 9 = 8. Good luck with the rest of your first year of teaching. Please write back if we can help you again. -Kristina, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®