Q&A #6013

How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 24, 2001 at 10:37:00
Subject: Re: How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

Dear Julie, I think the best place for you to find your information would be to look at the standards used by teachers in your state or district. As an example, I taught middle school in California and the concept of Pi was introduced in the 6th grade. Here is a page that lists the 6th grade California Mathematics Standards: "California Mathematics Standards, 6th Grade": http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math/standards6.html If you look under "Measurement and Geometry" you will see what is required. For your research it would then be interesting to look at the standards for other grades to see how and when Pi is mentioned. Since I am not sure what state you are in I will suggest some general places where you can find Standards information: NCTM Standards (national) http://standards.nctm.org Mathematics Standards http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/standards.html a list of all of the State Dept. of Education http://PutnamValleySchools.org/St/StandardsSED.html I hope this helps. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®