Q&A #6013

How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Mar 24, 2001 at 10:37:00
Subject: Re: How Pi fits into the K-12 curriculum

Dear Julie,

I think the best place for you to find your information would be to look at
the standards used by teachers in your state or district. As an example, I
taught middle school in California and the concept of Pi was introduced in
the 6th grade. Here is a page that lists the 6th grade California Mathematics

"California Mathematics Standards, 6th Grade":

If you look under "Measurement and Geometry" you will see what is required.

For your research it would then be interesting to look at the standards for
other grades to see how and when Pi is mentioned.

Since I am not sure what state you are in I will suggest some general places
where you can find Standards information:

NCTM Standards (national)

Mathematics Standards

a list of all of the State Dept. of Education

I hope this helps.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question