From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 03, 2001 at 17:16:26
Subject: Re: Sequence for Alg II and Geometry

Hi Karen,

Since I am not familiar with Virginia's courses of study for Algebra 2 and
Geometry, I can't respond using specific information.  I thought I'd add to
Joshua's comments with some thoughts of my own.  I agree.  Both sequences
have their advantages and disadvantages.

Preparation for PreCalculus is not the only thing that could be affected by
changing the sequence.

What about students' readiness to take the PSAT/NMSQT (and SAT I, SAT II,
ACT, etc.)  The College Board says that students don't need an entire year
of Geometry curriculum but if Geometry is taken in the junior year, will one
quarter be enough?  (PSAT is given during October.)  On the other hand,is 2
years of Algebra content better for scoring well on this same test?  What
adjustments will your department have to make?

In the Algebra II curriculum you teach, are there topics that should remain
in the junior/senior year?  Are there topics that can are better moved to
the sophomore year?  The reasons for this movement or non-movement can be
mathematical.  They can be because of the connection a collection of
concepts has to other classes such as chemistry or physics.  They can be
because of writing ability. (My Algebra 2 students are required to do a
great deal of writing.)  Or they can simply be because of students maturity
levels.

What about staffing and teacher preparation issues?  I see a potential need
for staff development to support the change in the sequence?  For example,
use of graphing calculators, or data collection devices or software such as
Geometer Sketchpad.

Hope you find my thoughts helpful.

-Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message