Q&A #6091

Monomials and polynomials

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 11, 2001 at 11:49:10
Subject: Re: Monomials and polynomials

Dear Shalinighosh, This is probably a high school topic but I can share an idea that worked well with my middle school students. I looked for Ask Dr. Math letters in the archives on a particular topic and for some reason my students loved reading them. Just for fun I just went to the archives and searched for "monomials" and found these: Monomials, Polynomials http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/heller.03.02.01.html Monomials and Polynomials http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/ccws31.html Monomials, Polynomials http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/baron1.21.98.html Origin of the word Quadratic http://mathforum.org/dr.math/problems/wilson4.7.98.html You could find others by looking here: http://mathforum.org/dr.math/tocs/algebra.middle.html or searching for "polynomial" here: http://mathforum.org/mathgrepform.html If your students have computer access you could bookmark these and have them read them online. Another idea would be to print some of them and have them read them in groups or in pairs. It might even be fun to read them aloud with one student playing the "student" and another playing the "doctor." Using these as a prompt for discussion worked well with my students. Another thing that I used when having my students read from the Ask Dr. Math archives was to take Cornell notes. I have a write-up here on the Web that explains what I did: Teacher Lesson Plan: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/cornell.html I hope that helps. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®