Q&A #6091

Monomials and polynomials

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 11, 2001 at 11:49:10
Subject: Re: Monomials and polynomials

Dear Shalinighosh,

This is probably a high school topic but I can share an idea that worked well
with my middle school students. I looked for Ask Dr. Math letters in the
archives on a particular topic and for some reason my students loved reading
them. Just for fun I just went to the archives and searched for "monomials"
and found these:

Monomials, Polynomials

Monomials and Polynomials

Monomials, Polynomials

Origin of the word Quadratic

You could find others by looking here:

or searching for "polynomial" here:

If your students have computer access you could bookmark these and have them
read them online. Another idea would be to print some of them and have them
read them in groups or in pairs. It might even be fun to read them aloud with
one student playing the "student" and another playing the "doctor." Using
these as a prompt for discussion worked well with my students. Another thing
that I used when having my students read from the Ask Dr. Math archives was to
take Cornell notes. I have a write-up here on the Web that explains what I

Teacher Lesson Plan:

I hope that helps.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message