From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 09, 2001 at 20:57:10
Subject: Re: Homework teams & classroom groups

One great thing I have used is to have homework groups. The first thing they
do while you're taking roll, etc. is to meet and decide what set of answers
will be turned in.  They can make changes, etc. I walk around to see that
every person in the group did most of the homework.  If someone doesn't do
it, then the whole group gets a bad grade. Peer-pressure is a marvelous thing
in this situation.  There are times, when you just get a student who could
careless and even after the group has threatened his life, he still refuses
to work...in that case disciplinary action...contact parents..or the like.

You also have a lottery and call on one person from any one group and ask
them to answer a question you choose about the homework.  That way, groups
function as groups teaching one another rather than the "divide and conquer"
philosophy.

I change groups periodically.  There was a method I had heard for dividing a
class into groups which required ranking all the students. After ranking,
divide the class into 4 parts.  Suppose you had 40 in a class  (nice number)
then.... Section 1 would have #1-10 (ranked) and section 4 would have #31-
40.  Group 1 = #1,#40,#20 & #21.  You take "outside" ones from first and
last list and then "inside" ones from middle two.  I thought it would be a
disaster, but it worked quite well.  I did allow for kids I knew disliked
one another.

 -Claudia, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question