Q&A #6096

Basic operations on Polynomials

View entire discussion

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 11, 2001 at 21:30:27
Subject: Re: Polynomials

Hi Elizabeth, Manipulatives are a fun way of introducing polynomials to students. Algebra tiles--You can purchase a class set from ETA/Cuisenaire. My students and I made a class set VERY inexpensively using plastic needle point canvas. (You can cut the plastic using regular scissors.) I use these tiles to teach +, -. *, and / of expressions involving x^2, xy, y^2, x, y, and constants. If you make your own you have lots of flexibility. A product called Algeblocks, also available from ETA/Cuisenaire, can be used to work with expressions involving x^3, y^3, z^3, x^2y, xy^2, xyz, etc. ETA/Cuisenaire's URL is http://www.etacuisenaire.com . The following URL is for an index of their products for algebra. http://www.etacuisenaire.com/control/catalog.department?deptId=ALGEBRA You might find the following websites interesting. Understanding Algebraic Factoring: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/algfac.html Learning about Algebra tiles: Activities for teachers: http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~mathed/t/rc/alg/tiles/tiles1.html Your desire to design lessons without the use of technology is very practical. Your topic can be done very well without calculator technology but I thought you might like to know that you can bring graphing calculator technology into your future classroom by contacting calculator companies. I know that Texas Instruments and Casio both have support programs. (I don't know if Hewlett Packard and Sharp have them, but you could ask.) For TI-- Support for High School Math Educators http://education.ti.com/educator/hsm/supp/support.html For Casio-- Educator Support http://www.casio.com/education/index.cfm?page=/education/usage.htm Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®