From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 11, 2001 at 21:30:27
Subject: Re: Polynomials

Hi Elizabeth,

Manipulatives are a fun way of introducing polynomials to students.
     Algebra tiles--You can purchase a class set from ETA/Cuisenaire. My
students and I made a class set VERY inexpensively using plastic needle
point canvas.  (You can cut the plastic using regular scissors.)  I use
these tiles to teach +, -. *, and / of expressions involving x^2, xy, y^2,
x, y, and constants.  If you make your own you have lots of flexibility.

     A product called Algeblocks, also available from ETA/Cuisenaire, can be
used to work with expressions involving x^3, y^3, z^3, x^2y, xy^2, xyz, etc.

ETA/Cuisenaire's URL is http://www.etacuisenaire.com .  The following URL is
for an index of their products for algebra.
http://www.etacuisenaire.com/control/catalog.department?deptId=ALGEBRA

You might find the following websites interesting.

Understanding Algebraic Factoring:
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/algfac.html

Learning about Algebra tiles: Activities for teachers:
http://www.ucs.mun.ca/~mathed/t/rc/alg/tiles/tiles1.html

Your desire to design lessons without the use of technology is very
practical.  Your topic can be done very well without calculator technology
but I thought you might like to know that you can bring graphing calculator
technology into your future classroom by contacting calculator companies.  I
know that Texas Instruments and Casio both have support programs.  (I don't
know if Hewlett Packard and Sharp have them, but you could ask.)

For TI--
Support for High School Math Educators
http://education.ti.com/educator/hsm/supp/support.html

For Casio--