From: Ron (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 2001 at 06:08:29
Subject: Re: Salary and credential requirement of math teachers

Hi: There is no standard answer but I've broken my answer into two parts. The first is a direct answer (which is of little value) and the second is a more realistic picture IMHO. First Answer: The salary depends on a number of factors and a more accurate answer might be obtained by asking a teacher in your particular region. The basic qualification is a university degree and a degree (or certificate) from a faculty of education. You need a minimum of 4 years at a university. Second Answer: The salary does not compensate you for the effort one puts into teaching. Many extra hours (beyond the classroom) are involved in teaching - preparation, professional development, coaching, extra help, mentoring clubs etc. On the other hand, the satisfaction that comes from seeing a student understand, or becoming a better person cannot be measured in dollars. I really appreciate (and live on) a sincere "Thanks". The only real qualification is a love of young people. If you enter the profession as a means of employment you will have a short teaching career. My education as a teacher has never stopped. I have learnt, am learning and will learn from every class (and student) I work with. This is the joy of teaching. Sorry if the above doesn't directly answer your question but there is no easy answer. Teaching is not a job, it is an adventure and you get out of it whatever you wish to put into it. Cheers. -Ron, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/