Q&A #6107

Motivating secondary students

View entire discussion

From: Kimberley (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 10, 2001 at 18:04:03
Subject: Re: Motivating secondary students

Nasseem, I teach students age 14-18 years old and find that one of the strategies which works well is to have them become an active part of whatever we are learning. For example, today we were studying the volumes of prisms and pyramids. They already knew how to find the volume of prisms but weren't sure about how much smaller the volume of a pyramid with the same size base would be. I had some open topped plastic models of such figures. Using colored water, they filled the pyramids and poured the water into the prisms. They "discovered" that three pyramids filled one prism and so could then find the volume formula for pyramids. Some topics lend themselves better to doing these type of activities and some teaching materials are written with student exploration in mind. Another strategy which I use when I want students to practice a new concept is to send students in their groups (of 3 or 4) to the blackboard to do problems. All the students are at the board (I have enough blackboard space to do this). I can be in the center of the room and see what everyone is doing. It is easy to offer suggestions to those that are struggling, as well as easy to listen to all their math conversations. I can also see which students are not contributing as much as they are capable. Perhaps some other T2T associates will have further suggestions. -Kimberley, for the T2T service Thanks for visiting our on-line community. Visit Teacher2Teacher again at http://mathforum.com/t2t/

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®