Q&A #6122

Teaching a slow learner about the use of money

View entire discussion

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 13, 2001 at 13:00:03
Subject: Re: Using money

Hi Shannon, I have a couple of ideas which might help you meet his IEP. Every algebra and pre-algebra text I have seen has problems I call, "money" problems. For example, "Shannon has 12 coins in her piggybank. Some of them are nickels and some are dimes. If the total value is $0.70, how many of each coin does she have?" This problem can be solved using "guess and check". In the process of using guess and check, I sometimes pull out my play money (or poker chips labeled with the needed values) for my students to use and/or for me to use while demonstrating. This might be a good place to help your student learn/reinforce identification/counting money. When I was asked to so something similar, I was in the middle of teaching problem solving strategies. I chose to help my student with this part of his IEP while we worked on "making a systematic list." Some of the questions we worked on: "How many different ways are there to make 52 cents using pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters?" "I have a certain combination of coins written down on a piece of paper which has a value of 25 cents. If you had to make a list of all of the different combination of coins which have a total value of 25 cents, what would you do?" Again, while the class worked on these questions, I had play money available. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®