From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Apr 13, 2001 at 13:00:03
Subject: Re: Using money

Hi Shannon,

I have a couple of ideas which might help you meet his IEP.

Every algebra and pre-algebra text I have seen has problems I call, "money"
problems.  For example, "Shannon has 12 coins in her piggybank.  Some of
them are nickels and some are dimes.  If the total value is $0.70, how many
of each coin does she have?"  This problem can be solved using "guess and
check".  In the process of using guess and check, I sometimes pull out my
play money (or poker chips labeled with the needed values) for my students
to use and/or for me to use while demonstrating.  This might be a good place
to help your student learn/reinforce identification/counting money.

When I was asked to so something similar, I was in the middle of teaching
problem solving strategies.  I chose to help my student with this part of
his IEP while we worked on "making a systematic list."  Some of the
questions we worked on: "How many different ways are there to make 52 cents
using pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters?"  "I have a certain combination
of coins written down on a piece of paper which has a value of 25 cents.  If
you had to make a list of all of the different combination of coins which
have a total value of 25 cents, what would you do?"  Again, while the class
worked on these questions, I had play money available.

Hope this helps.

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question