From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 04, 2001 at 12:27:31
Subject: Re: Math sequence for 1st graders

Dear Kelly,

I'm not certain that you should necessarily restrict your teaching of
"sequencing" to just "sequencing numbers" (in Gr. 1, children could also be
taught sequencing through extending patterns--looking at "what comes next" in
a pattern involves the notion of sequencing; in sequencing "events" through
putting a series of pictures in order--e.g. pictures that would illustrate
"first, I get out of bed, then I get dressed, eat breakfast, go to school,
etc.")

But I'll focus my suggestions on "number sequences" in case that's all you
wish to use.  If the classroom has linking cubes, then one "manipulative
center" could use the linking cubes to have the children "build stairs" (i.e.
top stair would have one cube, next would have two, the next three, and so
on). Students would be asked to continue the pattern by determining how many
cubes are needed to build the next "row" of the staircase. I'd also have them
keep track of how many cubes they've used in all, so you'd have two sequences,
the simple counting one (the "rows" of the staircase would be 1,2,3,4 cubes,
etc.), and the "total"  (1;  1+2;  1+2+3;  1+2+3+4;  etc.)

If Pattern Blocks are available, you might have a center devoted to building
patterns/sequences with the blocks. For example, begin a pattern using the
square Pattern Blocks. First 1 square block, then the next biggest square (4
square blocks); the next one (9 square blocks), etc. You could do similarly
with triangles if desired.

Hope this helps a bit.

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message