From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 04, 2001 at 09:03:04
Subject: Re: The effect of consistent evaluation on student morale

Hi Jon,

Let me begin by saying that I rarely find myself experiencing a "choice one or
choice two" situation when it comes to the topics of your questions.  But
since you asked...

I am a believer in the use of small groups to enhance learning.  And I
believe I teach much more than mathematics content in my classes.  Among
the many things I teach other than content is working with other people to
accomplish goals/complete tasks.  I don't think that "groups cause the
students to be lazy and rely on others to do the work."  Somewhere along the
line, choices were made for this to happen or for this to be allowed to
happen. These could be choices by the students or by the adults involved
(teachers, parents and possibly others).

I believe evaluation (grades) is a subset of assessment.  I assess my
students constantly. I do not evaluate constantly. I assess constantly in
order to gather information to help my students reach my goals, my
district's goals, my state's goals... and assessing helps me adjust my
teaching.  This is not to say that I do not have students who get poor grades.
I do.  But again, there are many more factors leading up to poor grades or the
loss of the desire to learn than evaluation.  I know I haven't answered this
question directly. I just don't have experience in the situation of which
you speak.

Hope this helps.

-Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message