From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 04, 2001 at 06:21:04
Subject: Re: Extra credit grade

Dear Miss Shepherd,

As a 7th grade mathematics teacher I would want an extra credit assignment to
go with the mathematics topics that I had been covering that year. It wouldn't
necessarily have to be the current topic but perhaps provide a variety of
topics but I would want it connected to something that we had been doing. So,
the suggestions here may not be appropriate but they might provide some ideas
that you could tweak to fit:

What about an "art" project accompanied by a one page paper explaining how
mathematics and art are connected? These string art pages might have some nice
ideas that your students could use or maybe they could design their own? I
like the designs on this page:

Geometric string design:
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/9155/page6/string6.html

and the index page for this site is here:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Workshop/9155/index2/index.html

Here are some pages that I have on the Math Forum site that might provide some
ideas:

Tessellation Tutorials
http://mathforum.org/sum95/suzanne/tess.intro.html
(Have students create a tessellation and write an explanation of the symmetry
of their tessellation.)

Polyhedra Nets
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/workshops/net.html
(Have students construct the polyhedra and write descriptions of them using
geometric vocabulary.)

Building a Pyramid
http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/pyramid2.html
(Adapt this idea to an individual project.)

One other idea would be to have the students read from the Ask Dr. Math, take
notes on their reading and then write a summary of their notes. I have some
pages here that might facilitate that idea:

http://mathforum.org/workshops/sum2000/link/

I hope some of these ideas help.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®