Q&A #6278

Teaching and learning of the circle theorems

View entire discussion

From: Ken Clements <clements@shbie.ubd.edu.bn>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: May 05, 2001 at 22:25:42
Subject: Teaching and learning of the circle theorems

Dear "out there" I am supervising a Master of Education student (Ms Khoo Siew Chin) who is investigating the teaching and learning of geometry with Form 5 (i.e., Grade 11) students in an upper secondary school in Brunei Darussalam. We would appreciate any help which people "out there," especially in regard to references of articles on the above topic, or something similar. We would be particularly interested in: 1. A summary of the methodology and results of any relevant studies. 2. Whether the circle theorems are "proved" (as opposed to merely "applied"). 3. The actual words of a statement which apparently appeared in a 1922 (or thenabouts) report on the "Teaching of Geometry" by the Mathematical Association in the UK, with respect to the circle theorems. 4. Thoughts on whether the circle theorems should still be part of the secondary mathematics curriculum. Khoo Siew Chin would be pleased to send interested persons an electronic copy of her dissertation when it is complete (which should be about July, 2001). She has used an anthropological methodology, and her results are fascinating. Best wishes -- I wonder if anyone will read this! Ken Clements Professor of Mathematics Education Universiti Brunei Darussalam

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®