From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 07, 2001 at 14:34:02
Subject: Re: Addition/subtraction

Hi Gina,

"Let me Count the Ways"  :)   Seriously, yours is a very wide-ranging
question, with lots of answers.  If you're talking about the development of a
conceptual understanding of what addition and subtraction are, then K-3
children do this in a multitude of experiences.  My 4-year old counts her
Cheerios at snack time, then "subtracts" as she eats them, and seems to
understand such things, for example, as 4 "take away" 4 leaves none!, etc.
Last week I watched a Kindergarten teacher have a child count all the
children who were there for circle time, and when the child counted 21, the
teacher asked how many were missing--the child "counted up" to 24 (seemed
to know from established routine that 24 was the total number in the class),
so he said "3 are absent"--the others called out who was missing, and the
teacher completed her attendance sheet this way.  So lots and lots of
concrete/semi-concrete experiences with situations reflecting addition and
subtraction give children a strong sense of the concept.  However, if your
question was intended to focus more on the learning and memorizing of
addition/subtraction basic facts, then the examples would be very different.
 If this was your intent, write back and I (and/or other associates) will
extend our response.

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question