From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 08, 2001 at 06:51:35
Subject: Re: Calculator use

Dear Keith,

To demonstrate further what Ralph and Tim shared about the various viewpoints
about calculator use, here are some Web sites on the subject:

Educators Battle Over Calculator Use: Both Sides Claim Casualties
http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr072.shtml
(This is from 1998 but I don't think things have changed much.)

Why Use Calculators (and Other Technologies) in the High School Math
Classroom?
http://www.enc.org/topics/edtech/learning/documents/0,1946,FOC-
000702index,00.shtm

US Academic Decathlon Calculator Policy 2000-2001
http://www.usad.org/calculator.html

AP Calculus 2000-2001 Calculator Policy
http://www.collegeboard.org/ap/calculus/html/exam005.html

Should we curb calculator use by younger students?
http://www.aft.org/publications/american_teacher/mar01/speakout.html

Research with non-graphing calculators
http://www.t3ww.org/t3/parta.htm

Research with graphing calculators
http://www.t3ww.org/t3/partb.htm
(Listed here are many articles on the topic of calculator use.)

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/