From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 10, 2001 at 22:22:23
Subject: Re: Using pattern blocks to understand fractions

The sites Roya mentioned are wonderful.  I use pattern blocks with my fifth
graders. The best part about using them for fractions is that you can change
the unit size, and that changes the values of the other pieces.  For example,
if the red trapezoid is worth one whole, then the green triangle is worth a
third, but if we call the hexagon a whole, then the triangle is a sixth.

There are some extension pieces that ETA makes to use with the regular
fractions.  They are called fraction pattern blocks, a brown trapezoid worth
a fourth of a hexagon, and a purple right triangle worth a twelfth of a
hexagon.  the URL for ETA is http://www.etacuisenaire.com/ if you want to
check them out.

 -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message