Q&A #6322

Measuring arc length

View entire discussion

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 14, 2001 at 10:00:07
Subject: Re: Measuring arc length

Hi Pat, I have a variety of tools. Which I use depends upon the lesson objectives and the age group of the students with whom I am working. 1) measuring tapes. 2) waxed dental floss. (The kids like the mint and the cinnamon.) They have enough wax to hold the curve--as long as the curves are not too "windy." 3) "Wikki Sticks" This is a commercially available product. I guess the best way to describe them is yarn which is saturated with a waxy substance. I use these with young kids. 4) calipers and a straightedge ruler. I use these tools with my calculus kids when we are deriving the formulas for arc length. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®