From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 14, 2001 at 10:00:07
Subject: Re: Measuring arc length

Hi Pat,

I have a variety of tools.  Which I use depends upon the lesson objectives
and the age group of the students with whom I am working.

   1) measuring tapes.
   2) waxed dental floss.  (The kids like the mint and the cinnamon.)  They
have enough wax to hold the curve--as long as the curves are not too "windy."
   3) "Wikki Sticks"  This is a commercially available product.  I guess the
best way to describe them is yarn which is saturated with a waxy substance.
I use these with young kids.
   4) calipers and a straightedge ruler.  I use these tools with my calculus
kids when we are deriving the formulas for arc length.

Hope this helps.
 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question