From: Joshua (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2001 at 20:01:50
Subject: Re: Late Assignments

>I am curious to know how different teachers handle "late work".

It varies, at least for me, depending on what class I'm teaching (what sort of
audience do I have?) ...

>1.  What constitutes an assignment being "late"?

In some classes "handed in after the final grades have been computed" is the
only thing that counts as "late".

Sometimes, "not on my desk when the bell rings" is late.

Most often, I check off whether or not they've done it during class each day,
and they get points off if they haven't gotten that check; then, while they
take the test, I collect the whole pile.  So, they'll get full credit only if
the homework is out on their desk while they work on that day's warmup
problem; they get half credit for homework turned in on or before the day of
the test; and no credit after that.

>2.  What penalities, if any, are given when work is late?

I guess that's discussed above...
half-credit for late work, so they get at least some incentive to do it for
the learning experience even if they didn't do it at the right time.

>3.  Does a policy change when you have different grade levels in the same
>class?

Not really. It varies more depending on whether it's an honors class (more
self-motivated students) or a remedial class. Also I used to teach community
college, where I might only see the students twice per week; then it was very
important to get homework in on time, because even one day late was a big
fraction of the class!

I imagine other teachers will have different policies...

 -Joshua, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®