From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: May 16, 2001 at 21:26:16
Subject: Re: Late Assignments

In my school sytem homework is only allowed to count as 10% of the final
grade, so I try to make sure I don't put too much effort into grading it, and
I don't count it for much credit, either.  Of course, I teach fifth grade.  I
figure (no pun intended) that if I give 4 homework assignments per week, in a
nine week period I probably count about 30 - 35 assignments...   if they are
only worth 10% of the grade, I can't make them worth much more than a point
or two each, in the grand scheme of things...

It is almost not worth my while to give partial credit, but I do want to see
the work completed, because it does have some review value, so I don't
penalize my students for late work.  What does happen, though, is that
students who have been completing their homework usually have better quiz and
test grades, because the quizzes and tests come from the homework,   and I
point that out.

Besides, I really believe students need a chance to practice what they are
learning in a risk free environment, so I don't penalize them for having the
answers wrong on their homework (but I do give bonus points for work that is
correct and easy to understand).  So, in my room there are some inherent
incentives for completing assigned work, rather than punitive consequences
for not doing it.  It has worked well for me, and hasn't inflated the grades
(10% is just not a very big amount...).  The added benefit is that it puts
the homework monkey back where it belongs...   The students are ultimately
responsible for getting the work done, period...  there is no excuse that
"she wouldn't accept it it, so I don't need to do it...".

 -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®