From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 12, 1998 at 00:18:49
Subject: Re: Teaching math

Hi Ninfa, Many students do not like geometry because all they think is that it is all about proof. The teacher has to make it more meaningful. Are you at all familiar with Maurits Escher? He is a Dutch graphics artist, who died in the mid 1980's. His work appears everywhere. He used geometry to cover the plane in graphics art. No one can be a graphics artist without understanding geometry. Most students like to create "Escher-like" pictures. Go to your public library or local art supply store or local "Barnes & Knobles"-type book store. I guarantee you can find some books on Escher. What do you think about interior designers, construction workers, carpenters, and builders? These people need geometry. Have you ever tried to figure out how much paint to purchase or how much wall paper to purchase? These decisions use geometry. I once helped a man figure out how much wood he would need to purchase to finish off a fan-shaped window. A construction worker came to me once and asked me to determine how much insulation would be used between three pipes that were arranged either inside a circular casing or a triangular casing. Geometry is the study of the structure of life! How do bees arrange their beehives? Why are the cells hexagonal? How are cobwebs designed? How does radar locate "blimps" on a polar graph? The application of geometry is seemingly endless. Start with Escher. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/