From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 02, 2001 at 07:43:23
Subject: Re: Difficulty learning math

Dear Susan,

Yes, there is an equivalent to dyslexia for math, the term is dyscalculia. I
searched the T2T archives and found a response written by Marielouise, another
T2T associate. I have copy/pasted the text below. In addition to the resources
Marielouise cites, I also found this on the Web:

http://www.dyscalculia.org/

I hope some of these ideas are helpful to you.

      From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
      Date: May 01, 2000 at 22:02:14
      Subject: Re: Teaching learning disabled children

I have only taught a few learning disabled children.  I have referenced this
website to other teachers of learning disabled children.  It does not directly
answer you question.  I suggest that you start with the first area marked with

Another site to start a search is:

http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/contexts_disabled/

I hope that this helps you.

---------------
LD ONLINE - THE INTERACTIVE GUIDE TO LEARNING DISABILITIES
             FOR PARENTS, TEACHERS, AND CHILDREN

                 http://www.ldonline.org/

A vast array of information on topics within the area of
learning disabilities from CCLD, the Coordinated Campaign
for Learning Disabilities, and the National Joint Committee
on Learning Disabilities.

•••LD In-Depth offers articles, research findings, and
useful forums, including an area specifically devoted to
dyscalculia, or learning disorders in math.

http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/resource-guide.html
http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/math_skills/math-skills.html

See also 10 Tips for Software Selection for Math Instruction
(Babbitt)
http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/technology/babbitt_math_tips.html

For more sites with information about math and disabilities,
visit the Forum's Internet Mathematics Library:

Teaching Issues/Strategies: Special Contexts
http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/contexts_disabled/

Social Issues/Public Policy: Equity
http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/equity_disabled/

      -| -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®