From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 02, 2001 at 07:43:23
Subject: Re: Difficulty learning math

Dear Susan, Yes, there is an equivalent to dyslexia for math, the term is dyscalculia. I searched the T2T archives and found a response written by Marielouise, another T2T associate. I have copy/pasted the text below. In addition to the resources Marielouise cites, I also found this on the Web: http://www.dyscalculia.org/ I hope some of these ideas are helpful to you. From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service) Date: May 01, 2000 at 22:02:14 Subject: Re: Teaching learning disabled children I have only taught a few learning disabled children. I have referenced this website to other teachers of learning disabled children. It does not directly answer you question. I suggest that you start with the first area marked with ••• Another site to start a search is: http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/contexts_disabled/ I hope that this helps you. --------------- LD ONLINE - THE INTERACTIVE GUIDE TO LEARNING DISABILITIES FOR PARENTS, TEACHERS, AND CHILDREN http://www.ldonline.org/ A vast array of information on topics within the area of learning disabilities from CCLD, the Coordinated Campaign for Learning Disabilities, and the National Joint Committee on Learning Disabilities. •••LD In-Depth offers articles, research findings, and useful forums, including an area specifically devoted to dyscalculia, or learning disorders in math. http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/resource-guide.html http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/math_skills/math-skills.html See also 10 Tips for Software Selection for Math Instruction (Babbitt) http://www.ldonline.org/ld_indepth/technology/babbitt_math_tips.html For more sites with information about math and disabilities, visit the Forum's Internet Mathematics Library: Teaching Issues/Strategies: Special Contexts http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/contexts_disabled/ Social Issues/Public Policy: Equity http://mathforum.org/library/ed_topics/equity_disabled/ -| -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service ------------------ -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/