From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Jun 09, 2001 at 22:53:45
Subject: Re: Assigning Grades to Classwork-What does Zero mean?

Hi Loyd,

Here are two more responses to your question.

Art Mabbott wrote:

I would like to respond in favor of a Zero grade...not for work
completed but for missing work.  That zero encourages the
non-performer to come in to make-up the missing work/test.  I tell
them that something is always better than nothing.  And then when I
grade the test or assignment, I look for places where I can reward
evidence of learning.  What did they do right?  And I, too, require
that they show their work so that I can see when and where they went
wrong and what they did correctly.

My kids have to work very hard to really fail.

The GPA problem is an entirely different issue.
Wouldn't it be nice to not have to deal with grades at all?  Just let
me teach?
--------

And Ed Isaacs of Los Alamitos H.S. wrote:

With the grading program I use, Gradebook Plus, a missing assignment
or quiz or test shows us as ( ).  The students know immediately that
something is missing.  A zero is given when the student is given an F
for cheating or something like that.  The ( ) counts as 0 when
computing grade averages, and I feel it is more effective than seeing
a 0 as a grade.

 -Roya, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/