From: <Hoitoloon@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 11, 2001 at 14:56:29
Subject: New to teaching, however...older teacher

This will be the first year teaching math to grade 8. I have both general math
and algebra classes. Last year, February 2000, I took over as a permanent sub
and taught math to grade 6-8. Each day I simultaneously prepare for the next
school year, by noting any questions that pop up. In Massachusetts we cannot,
by law, group children by "tracking" them. However, within the classroom,
material can be appropriately assigned to the student based on their
abilities. I am coming from an adult training background and have a solid
instructional methods/processes foundation. My thoughts are to get the
materials from previous year and come up with a cumulative test to gauge each
student's abilities. Once I have data I can then appropriately guide each
student through their own learning experience.

QUESTION #1: Do you have any ideas to add to my own?
QUESTION #2: As I begin the year, I would like some input to grading,
especially from math teachers.
QUESTION #3: I am ordering the Weekly Problem Series I saw on T2T, any other
sources for good weekly problems? My goal is to have each student fully
demonstrate knowledge of the material by working each problem and providing a
written description of each step. I would like to keep this in a journal form
that is due each Monday. Any more ideas?
QUESTION #4: Any ideas for projects during the year? I have two in mind. The
first deals with the stock market and is in conjunction with the Worcester
Newspaper. The other is a paper on careers that deal with math. I did this
last year and one student wrote about an engineer who designs skateboards.
Each student had to describe how math was integrated into the career they
selected.

Please respond as I want to be the best teacher I can be for every student.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/