Q&A #6497

Math assessment

View entire discussion

From: <shannon4195@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Jun 11, 2001 at 22:53:35
Subject: Math assessment

I teach 8th grade math in NY. There are two parts to the test. The first part is multiple choice and the second part consists of short response and extended response questions. Based on the multiple choice questions alone 80% of the students passed the test. This is great because we have had a history of poor math scores.(We were almost taken over by the Chancellor.) Now the results of the second part of the test were horrible. Many students didn't attempt some questions as well as receiving a zero on some questions (meaning they didn't even have partial knowledge). How do I get my students to do better on the short and extended response questions? Is it a confidence issue? The students did better on the harder questions such as Pythagorean's Theorem and than on the easier questions such as prime factorization. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®