From: Claudia (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 13, 1998 at 21:39:08
Subject: Re: Practical application for algebra

There are many ways to make a lesson interesting! You can involve students in a game. You can choose information to make the lesson pertinent and meaningful! I take it that you want this to happen with systems of linear equations! Is there a particular way that you have to solve them? Sometimes, systems can be easier to solve by intuition than by using equations! (As my algebra II class has pointed out to me recently, since the topic of systems is what we are currently studying.) One major application is to physics. They use systems of 3 equations with hideous scientific notation type coefficients! One of the biggest applications of systems with 3 unknowns is the inventory kind of problems. I have an article I share with my students about a gentleman who worked for Bell Laboratories who solved a system with 800,000 variables! They find that mind-boggling. Yet when you think about it, the real world requires a lot more than 2 unknowns at the time. Anyway, one thing would be to create a uniquely attractive story about several students, who took a trip and the numbers and weights of various pieces of luggage. You can give different groups different parts of the trip to determine what kind and how many of each piece of luggage made it through the various airports along the trip. I don't know if this is totally appropriate for an Honors class, but it is fun. They give the students graph paper and two pieces of uncooked spaghetti. (Linguini might be better as it does not roll as easily). Have them plot two possible answers for each of two equations. The place where the spaghetti intersects is the solution! You can make it more of a mental math activity that way. (for example, Sally has 24 coins, all dimes and nickels. She has $2.00 in all. How many of each coin does she have? Students fix a piece of spaghetti on say (12, 12) and (24, 0) for the first equation. Perhaps (20,10) and (0,20) for the second. There is always great fun with matrix solutions. Did you know that the US government used matrices in the past as a form of cryptography to send secret messages? Good luck -Claudia, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/