From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 19, 1998 at 22:23:52
Subject: Re: Teaching how to tell time

Your thread is in the grades 3-5 category, so I am going to tell you what I
have done. I beagn a lesson such as this by asking my students to tell me
everything they noticed about the clock, and I wrote what they observed.
Eventually they told me everything I was hoping they would notice, and since
the ideas were coming from them, they were all looking carefully, trying to
outdo each other and notice something new. They noticed that there were a
certain number of spaces on the click's face, and that there were the same
number of little lines between each pair of numbers on the dial. From there,
we were able to launch into a discussion of how many minutes were in an hour,
and then, a half hour, and what those little lines represented. Starting
with their words is a good way to capture their attention.

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®