From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Aug 21, 2001 at 07:32:10
Subject: Re: First day of school - Middle School

Dear Joshua, It was fun to think back on what I used to do on the first day of school now that I have been out of the classroom and working for the Math Forum for a year. I looked here: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math/week1.2.3.4.html and remembered what I think is most important to do. I think it is important to set the tone for the year and so in my case since I taught mathematics in a computer lab setting, that meant: - establishing computer lab routines (better to do something than to talk about rules the whole time - often I would have the rules in a HyperCard stack or a Web page so that students could interact with them visually rather than listening to me talk at them.) - establishing groups - you can see some of the activities that I used on that Web page - administering standardized tests - my school had pre/post assessments that we were required to give and we had a window of time to do that (first two weeks of the school year) - establishing the idea that we would be thinking mathematically! As I remember it the very first day of school is often run by the office. They have a variety of requirements that as a teacher you have no control over. The best solution I can think of is to sneak in your own things as much as you can in the format of sponge activities or quick mathematical engagement. If you can do this along with setting your rules - weaving them in and out of activities I think that the students will be most receptive to joining you for the rest of the year. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/