From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 23, 1998 at 14:58:24
Subject: Re: Textbook recommendations for honors analysis

Your question is one that I wrestled with for many years when I taught a
similar course. I, too, used the UCSMP text. I loved the text but considered
the problem solving not at the level of the reading in the text or the level
of the students reading the text. I had also at that time use the Brown/
Robbins Advanced mathematics text by Houghton Mifflin publishers. Dick Brown
was to have a new version of the text ready for the spring of 1999. Look and
see if it is available.

For vectors, I used the old 1980's Precalculus text by Paul Forester. It
emphasized the 3-D version of vectors, normals, planes, etc. I think that
the students that you described need to do this type of thinking or they will
be "dissolved" in college physics and engineering.

 -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/