From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 21, 1998 at 22:36:37
Subject: Re: Mean, Median, and Mode

This year my fifth graders measured each other to find several different sets
of data (circumference of head, length of leg from knee to ankle, length of
thumb, length of nose from tip to bridge, height, mass, etc.)  they found the
range, mean, mode and median for each set, and did stem and leaf plots for
the data.  Then we used the means to create an "average" fifth grader.

I had a group color an outline of a person half girl and half boy.  We drew
arrows to the places we measured, and wrote the average measurements.  The
life-sized poster is hanging outside our door, with my students photos around
the edges.  It is a real attention getter, speaks "loudly" about the math
done in our room, and really helped my students practice using those terms.

-Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®