From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Sep 28, 2001 at 10:01:00
Subject: Pre-algebra and algebra software

Dear Geoff, Until June of 2000 I taught middle school mathematics in a computer lab setting and I used a variety of software programs as well as Java-applets with my lessons. I would be happy to share resources of ideas you could use with your students if you have Internet access with your students. Since you asked specifically for software ideas, I will stick to that idea for now. Geometer's Sketchpad http://mathforum.org/dynamic/ (provides lesson ideas) Tangram by S.T. Han http://members.aol.com/sth777/default.html Chinese Tangram activity: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/tangram.html KaleidoTile http://www.geom.umn.edu/software/download/KaleidoTile.html Polyhedra activities: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/workshops/unit14.html Tessellations http://mathforum.org/sum95/suzanne/tess.intro.html using a variety of software including HyperCard, HyperStudio, Geometer's Sketchpad, Claris Works, LogoWriter. Kali http://www.geom.umn.edu/software/download/kali.html http://mathforum.org/alejandre/mathfair/kali.html (provides lesson idea) Hands-On Math http://venturaes.com/products/hands-on_math/index.html What is Area? http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/one.inch.tiles.html Pedagoguery Software Inc. Poly http://www.peda.com/poly/Welcome.html Tess http://www.peda.com/tess/Welcome.html Claris Works - spreadsheets http://mathforum.org/alejandre/spreadsheet.html Graphing Linear Functions http://mathforum.org/alejandre/linear.graph.html Leonardo da Vinci Activity http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math/leonardo.html Math Stars http://www.kidsdomain.com/down/mac/mathstars.html Operations with Integers http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/math.stars.html These were some of the CD ROMs that we used: Math for the Real World http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math/4/realmath/merge.shtml Mathville VIP http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math/5/vip/merge.shtml Logical Journey of the Zoombinis http://www.superkids.com/aweb/pages/reviews/math2/logical/merge.shtml Last but not least, we used Claris Works for word processing and also the paint program to make mathematical illustrations. I hope some of those ideas are useful. Please don't hesitate to write again if you would like some Internet suggestions. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/