From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 24, 1998 at 15:51:45
Subject: Re: Homework as an assessment tool

This depends on what you mean by assessment. If you are talking about
assigning a grade for the work, to be used to evaluate the student, then I am
uncomfortable using homework to assess a student's understanding because so
many factors can influence the answers on homework. It may not be the
student's own work, for example. Perhaps, a parent helped, or a fellow
student.

Another reason I am not comfortable using homework for assessment/evaluation
is that I believe homework should be a time to practice what is learned
during classtime. Practice helps one become proficient, but the practice
itself may not always be correct, and that should be all right.

On the other hand, if you are assessing the homework to see if what you
taught is being understood, then I think you would have a valid reason for
assessing the work. Your students' answers could help you see what your
students think was taught. Sometimes, what we think we teach, really is not
the lesson the students learned at all.
 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question