Q&A #700

Homework as an assessment tool

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 24, 1998 at 15:51:45
Subject: Re: Homework as an assessment tool

This depends on what you mean by assessment. If you are talking about assigning a grade for the work, to be used to evaluate the student, then I am uncomfortable using homework to assess a student's understanding because so many factors can influence the answers on homework. It may not be the student's own work, for example. Perhaps, a parent helped, or a fellow student. Another reason I am not comfortable using homework for assessment/evaluation is that I believe homework should be a time to practice what is learned during classtime. Practice helps one become proficient, but the practice itself may not always be correct, and that should be all right. On the other hand, if you are assessing the homework to see if what you taught is being understood, then I think you would have a valid reason for assessing the work. Your students' answers could help you see what your students think was taught. Sometimes, what we think we teach, really is not the lesson the students learned at all. -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®