From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 05, 2001 at 14:44:19
Subject: Re: Volume

Hi Mary,

Here are some lessons I found in the Math Forum's library. Some are designed
for younger students but I thought you'd like to see the lessons anyway for
ideas.

http://www.iit.edu/~smile/ma9517.html
http://euclid.barry.edu/~marinas/mat476/journal/dix319df.html
http://www.iit.edu/~smile/ma9512.html
http://www.col-ed.org/cur/math/math30.txt

In October of last year another teacher asked about what kind of mathematics
can be done with pumpkins. I thought you'd be interested in the information
we found for her.

"Sounds like you have a nice opportunity for some measurement, data
collection activities and graphing activities.

Students could measure the circumference and weight of each pumpkin. Take
the class data and compute the mean, median and mode, make a scatterplot
(circumference vs weight) of the data.

The largest pumpkin at the 27th Annual Great Pumpkin Weigh-Off  the
Heavyweight Championship in the Pumpkin Capital of the World  Half Moon
Bay, California (1999) weighed 991 pounds. There's a picture of it on the
Half Moon Bay site, which is:

http://www.miramarevents.com/weighoff/facts.html .
Could your class' data help the kids predict its circumference? Or perhaps
they could predict the mass of an especially large pumpkin that your school
might acquire/borrow from a nice farmer?  This way they can see how close they
got.

Students could predict the number of seeds inside his/her pumpkin, then do a
count. Perhaps make a histogram of this data.

Hope this helps!

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question