Q&A #7009

View entire discussion
[<<prev] [next>>]

From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 05, 2001 at 14:44:19
Subject: Re: Volume

Hi Mary, Here are some lessons I found in the Math Forum's library. Some are designed for younger students but I thought you'd like to see the lessons anyway for ideas. http://www.iit.edu/~smile/ma9517.html http://euclid.barry.edu/~marinas/mat476/journal/dix319df.html http://www.iit.edu/~smile/ma9512.html http://www.col-ed.org/cur/math/math30.txt In October of last year another teacher asked about what kind of mathematics can be done with pumpkins. I thought you'd be interested in the information we found for her. "Sounds like you have a nice opportunity for some measurement, data collection activities and graphing activities. Students could measure the circumference and weight of each pumpkin. Take the class data and compute the mean, median and mode, make a scatterplot (circumference vs weight) of the data. The largest pumpkin at the 27th Annual Great Pumpkin Weigh-Off the Heavyweight Championship in the Pumpkin Capital of the World Half Moon Bay, California (1999) weighed 991 pounds. There's a picture of it on the Half Moon Bay site, which is: http://www.miramarevents.com/weighoff/facts.html . Could your class' data help the kids predict its circumference? Or perhaps they could predict the mass of an especially large pumpkin that your school might acquire/borrow from a nice farmer? This way they can see how close they got. Students could predict the number of seeds inside his/her pumpkin, then do a count. Perhaps make a histogram of this data. Hope this helps! -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®