From: ---
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Oct 27, 1998 at 08:01:21
Subject: Difficulty learning math

My 11-year-old son has Attention Deficit Disorder.  His neuro-developmental
evaluation revealed "deficits in comprehension, temporal-sequential
organization, visual attention and visual active working memory, as well as
left to right discrimination."  Put simply, this child cannot do math.

He skips numbers, puts them in the wrong places, is sloppy and can't keep the
numbers in columns (even if using graph paper, although it does help).  He
can't distinguish + from - and does both indiscriminately - no matter what
the problem says to do.  Word problems?  Forget it.  I have tried just
about everything -- Math Made Easy Videotapes (terrible), computer software
(great for drilling but don't explain why or how to do something), graph
paper, sitting with him as he does each problem, looking for easy ways to
teach him or make things more understandable, including your site.

He fails every math test and is re-tested with a tutor after every test.  Any
suggestions?  I'm just about at the end of my rope.  We spend 2 hours a night
on math and it just isn't helping.

I should also mention that he is on 15 1/2 mg. of Adderall 2 times a day and
has also had a Child Study Team Evaluation.

Thank you very much for any help you could provide.

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/