From: Jeanne (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 22, 2001 at 21:42:47
Subject: Re: What is an array?

Hello Michelle,

Rather than define "array," let me give you some examples.

The number 12:

     ************   1 by 12          ***   4 by 3    *   12 by 1
                                     ***             *
     ******         2 by 6           ***             *
     ******                          ***             *
                                                     *
     ****           3 by 4           **   6 by 2     *
     ****                            **              *
     ****                            **              *
                                     **              *
                                     **              *
                                     **              *
                                                     *

To make life simpler, we usually tell students to consider the following
pairs of arrays the same:
     1 by 12 & 12 by 1
     2 by 6 & 6 by 2
     3 by 4 ^ 4 by 3
So 12 has 3 different arrays.

When I have students make arrays, I have them use pennies, or bingo chips or
little square tiles.

Hope this helps.

 -Jeanne, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message