From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 05, 2001 at 17:33:40
Subject: Re: Algebra

Hi, Sherlita, In reading your question the first thought that came to my mind was: how would I feel if the principal of my school told me that I hadn't filled in a form and wouldn't be paid until I did. Suppose that I hadn't received the form. Would I think that it was fair? Whenever students think that a teacher is fair, they are willing to work with the teacher. Don't worry about being harsh. Worry about being fair. Is the work necessary for the students to progress? If it is, then include it as part of your instruction just PRIOR to when you need to use the knowledge. The students will be better motivated to learn it. If it isn't necessary for the students to progress with your work, then just drop it for the time being and do what you have to do. It takes cooperation between teachers and students for learning and progress to take place. Not all teachers are able to do what they wish to do each year. Some topics are much more important than others because they are part of the building blocks of mathematics. Other topics are nice but not necessary. I hope that this helps you. -Marielouise, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/