From: Kristina (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 01, 2001 at 17:19:47
Subject: Re: Mathematical Palindromes for Elementary Ed.

Dear Sarah,

We recently answered another question about palindromes and opened the
question up for discussion. The activities we offered may be a bit high
conceptually for 2nd grade, but it might give you ideas about creating your
own hands-on lesson. Here's the discussion:

Palindromes
http://mathforum.org/t2t/thread.taco?thread=7140

To me, one of the values of studying palindromes is that it can reinforce
concepts like place value, magnitude, and measurement of time (dates) in a way
that's different from more routine math lessons. It might be a fun way to get
the students to think about and compare numbers.

What palindrome is closest to but less than 379?
What palindrome is closest to but more than 2146?
What are some 2-digit palindromes. Is there a pattern for these? What happens
if you add a 2-digit palindrome to another 2-digit palindrome?

I like to watch my odometer when I drive and notice the palindromic numbers.
My most recent was 36263. It reminded me that I was late for an oil change!

I agree that palindromic numbers are probably not a vital concept to teach
elementary students, but you and your students can have fun playing with the
numbers!

 -Kristina, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/