Q&A #7203

Mathematical Palindromes for Elementary Ed.

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 05, 2001 at 06:54:16
Subject: Re: Mathematical Palindromes for Elementary Ed.

Dear Sarah, I agree with Kristina and Jeanne that "palindrome" itself is not a mathematical concept necessary for students to know, but it can provide you with a resource for having students investigate and practice other vital concepts and procedures. My fifth graders get much more practice adding to find palindromes than they would if I gave them a page of problems from a worksheet or a book. Here is what they do: Pick any two-digit number (for example, 65). Reverse the digits (56). Add the two amounts together (65 + 56). You get 121, which is a palindrome. That is a one-step palindrome. Some numbers take a little longer, some a lot longer... If you take 79 and add 97, you get 176. Now reverse those digits and add 671. How many steps until you get a palindrome? Try it and see. -Gail, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®