From: Roya (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 05, 1998 at 14:09:21
Subject: Re: Functional, life math skills for autistic teenager

Dear Cheryl, Thank you so much for writing to us. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a carefully prescribed math program, but I can suggest the following links to you. Please look at them and see if they are of any use to you. I hope you can find what you need for Virginia. 1) The following publication is available through ERIC http://ericir.sunsite.syr.edu/ ERIC_NO: ED250871 TITLE: Educators' Guide to Exemplary Special Education Curricula: Results of a National Field Based Survey (1985). AUTHOR: Ash, Paul, Ed. JOURNAL_CITATION: Indiana Federation Council for Exceptional Children Newsletter; v22 n2 Extra Edition Fall 1984 ABSTRACT: The newsletter reports results from the National Special Education Curricula Survey completed by state department officials, college and university staff, and personnel from schools, community agencies, and special projects across the country. Respondents identified 230 exemplary special education curricula. Those curricula are listed alphabetically by title and provide information on source, source address, copyright date, approximate price, number of pages, recommended exceptionally area(s) and recommended level(s). Twenty-two subject areas are also identified:....., autism........... math, .... GEOGRAPHIC_SOURCE: U.S.; Indiana CLEARINGHOUSE_NO: EC171108 PUBLICATION_TYPE: 131 PUBLICATION_DATE: 1984 2) http://www.hood.edu/seri/autism.htm You may want to check out the autism section of the Special Education Resources on the Internet (SERI) which is a collection of Internet accessible information resources to those involved in the fields related to Special Education. 3) http://www.imsa.edu/team/cpbl/working/bernie.html Cross-disciplinary Problem Based Learning (CPBL) - Bernard Hollister Problems in social math that call on learners to engage in math and history skills to look at real life problems, e.g., A tutorial for the Lincoln problem is included. 4) http://www.goodnet.com/~nshaw/REALITY.HTM Middle School Math - Reality Education Reality Education's books integrate real life skills with middle level math skills. 5) http://www.p-l-p.com/sm_html/sm-cbma.html Basic Math Skills Software - Projected Learning Programs Inc. includes a title called "Math for Successful Living" 6) http://forum.swarthmore.edu/dr.math/problems/case.7.7.96.html You may want to look at the answer to the following question that was given by Doctor Jodi of Ask Dr. Math. "I would like more info for my 15-yr-old who can not multiply." Roya -Roya, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/