Q&A #724

Functions in middle school

View entire discussion

From: Marielouise (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Oct 30, 1998 at 12:47:33
Subject: Re: Functions in middle school

Hi, Jeff, I think that you have asked a very powerful question. I teach functions to students prior to taking calculus. While we spend our time on the symbolic manipulations and understanding much of which we discuss could be part of the upper elementary mathematics program. I see the role of functions as a group of rules that are applied to numbers. What makes the rules very special is that whenever you apply the rule to a number there is always a single answer. This is very important. The second property of functions is that these rules follow certain patterns. There is the doubling rule: "choose a number and then double it!", the halving rule: "choose a number and then take one-half of it." the constant adding rule: "choose a number and add 2!" If students were given pairs of numbers that all were obtained by the same rule, students need to find the rule. Even on the college level we discuss the idea of "Remember Mrs. Smith in 4th grade who asked you what number she was thinking of?" "I'm thinking of a number. I double the number and subtract 6. The answer is 15. What's the number?" Students have to find the reverse order in order to find the original number. This type of thinking is planting the seeds for inverse functions. What do I think about functions in grades 5-7? I say plant some seeds. -Marielouise, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®