From: Peter Bakich <pdbinvegas@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Nov 16, 2001 at 10:06:46
Subject: Algebra for all 8th graders

Greetings:

My school district, Clark County School District in Las Vegas, has a new
superintendent who wants all 8th graders to have Algebra.  We've convinced
him that this would take some rearrangement of curriculum in the lower grades
so that the students will be ready to handle the rigors of Algebra. He has
given somewhat on his requirement, but still wants this to take place within 5
years.  What are your reactions to this as far as a timeframe goes?  Is 5
years realistic?  What are some of the pitfalls we might encounter as we try
to revamp the sixth largest district in the nation?

Sincerely,

Peter Bakich pdbinvegas@aol.com

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/