From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 21, 2001 at 15:59:52
Subject: Re: Special Education -- estimating

Dear Ann,

Well, I hope you DO get a chance to be "teaching on your own" next year,
because it certainly sounds like you have the patience, knowledge, and
insights it takes to be a great teacher!

As for your "immediate challenge", trying to make mental math interesting
and challenging for the student you're working with, I would suggest having
a look at:

http://mathforum.org/k12/mathtips/beatcalc.html

There you'll find quite an array of mental math tips and tricks with the idea
that using mental math you can come up with an answer faster than someone
"punching in the numbers" and doing the calculations on the calculator.

You might select some of the "Beatcalc" activities and have him learn them,
then see if he can actually do them faster than you can do them on a
calculator.  I'm sure you'll find some of the Beatcalc activities that will
be very similar to the mental math/estimation strategies you mentioned.

I hope this helps a bit!  Good luck!

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/