Q&A #7316

Special Education -- estimating

View entire discussion

From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 30, 2001 at 21:53:03
Subject: Re: Special Education -- estimating

Dear Ann, I have my students (fifth graders) work in teams with a dry erase board and a colorful marker. We play "Estimation Olympics". (I just say "Olympics" to get their attention, but you could award points, or something if you wanated). I dictate a problem to them, and each team finds a quick, easy-to- do-mentally, close-to-the-exact answer problem to write on their board. Then everyone shares their ideas, and we evaluate them according to our criteria (easy to do mentally, close to the right answer). They find out that there is more than one way to estimate, and that rounding isn't always the best way to do it. -Gail, for the T2T service

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®