From: Gail (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 18, 2001 at 17:35:40
Subject: Re: Length of quizzes

Dear Cindy, I teach elementary school, but I will throw my 2 cents worth in, if you don't mind. I guess first of all, if these were my quizzes that were being questioned, I would take a look at them to see if they really needed to take a whole class period. How much are they worth, grade-wise? Is their value commensurate with the amount of instructional time they displace? That might be what your principal was concerned about. Then, I would probably look at the items themselves. Is there any redundancy in what you are measuring? Could some of the items be removed without damaging the integrity of the quiz? Is what you are testing with the quiz what you taught? I am not trying to give you a hard time... just posing some questions to think about as you design the next quiz. What information do the quiz grades give you? Are they of any use to you as you plan further instruction? Do they mirror your students "final" grades? What I mean is, are they a good way for students to tell how they are doing - - can they be a self-assessment tool for them to use, as well as an evaluation and assessment tool for you? If you thoughtfully look at your quizzes, and reflect on their value in your classroom, and determine that they are as they should be, go back to your administrator and explain your reasoning. On the other hand, if you decide that some changes should be made, still go back and share your ideas with your administrator. Reflective teaching is a key component to being a great teacher. So, I have rambled on for some time, and haven't really addressed your question, which was, "how long should a quiz be". I hope I have given you some ideas to think about though. :-) -Gail, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/