From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 28, 2001 at 14:16:32
Subject: Re: Fun math activites for pre-schooler

Dear Beckie,

Since I have a 3 1/2 year old of my own, I thought I'd add a few thoughts.
Mind you, mine is a boy with the attention span of a gnat, so my "activities"
are things that can be done really quickly.

You mentioned general counting--I've found that just having him count the
stairs as we up/down them (MANY times!) has helped him develop confident
counting skills (of course, only to 14  :)  He thinks "Good Counting!" is the
number that comes after 14  :)  Got any boxes of buttons or other objects you
want organized? --You can do some great sorting activities with everday
objects. Some good reasoning/spatial sense ideas can be developed with a
"What's missing" game. Show her a tray with a variety of objects on it (our 3
1/2 year old doesn't focus well, so can only do 4 or 5 objects with him, but
our 4 1/2 year old works easily with 8-10 objects). Let her look at the tray
for a while, then go out of the room and remove one object--when you show the
tray again, ask what's missing.

These are just a few thoughts--hope it helps,

 -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®