From: Ralph (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Nov 28, 2001 at 14:16:32
Subject: Re: Fun math activites for pre-schooler

Dear Beckie, Since I have a 3 1/2 year old of my own, I thought I'd add a few thoughts. Mind you, mine is a boy with the attention span of a gnat, so my "activities" are things that can be done really quickly. You mentioned general counting--I've found that just having him count the stairs as we up/down them (MANY times!) has helped him develop confident counting skills (of course, only to 14 :) He thinks "Good Counting!" is the number that comes after 14 :) Got any boxes of buttons or other objects you want organized? --You can do some great sorting activities with everday objects. Some good reasoning/spatial sense ideas can be developed with a "What's missing" game. Show her a tray with a variety of objects on it (our 3 1/2 year old doesn't focus well, so can only do 4 or 5 objects with him, but our 4 1/2 year old works easily with 8-10 objects). Let her look at the tray for a while, then go out of the room and remove one object--when you show the tray again, ask what's missing. These are just a few thoughts--hope it helps, -Ralph, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/