Q&A #7446

Respect for different answers

View entire discussion

From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 05, 2001 at 08:14:58
Subject: Re: Respect for different answers

Dear J. Logan, I have one other idea to add to the great list that Jeanne provided for you and that is this game that I had my 7th graders play: http://mathforum.org/alejandre/quiet.game.html Some years, depending on the behavior of my students, we played this game several times over the year. My overall classroom rule was "facilitate" which I explained had three meanings: - help yourself by doing your best - help the teacher by following directions - help your classmates by sharing information When I would introduce the last of these ideas my students were somewhat amazed because they called this "cheating!" I explained to them that there are times to share and times not to share (during individual assessment) but there would be many times when helping out a classmate would be appropriate. We also talked about (and I modeled) the idea of not blurting out what they think is the "right answer" while helping but instead helping the classmate think through the problem so that they could reach the "right answer" themselves. -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®