From: Suzanne A. (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 05, 2001 at 08:14:58
Subject: Re: Respect for different answers

Dear J. Logan,

I have one other idea to add to the great list that Jeanne provided for you
and that is this game that I had my 7th graders play:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/quiet.game.html

Some years, depending on the behavior of my students, we played this game
several times over the year.

My overall classroom rule was "facilitate" which I explained had three
meanings:

  - help yourself by doing your best
  - help the teacher by following directions
  - help your classmates by sharing information

When I would introduce the last of these ideas my students were somewhat
amazed because they called this "cheating!" I explained to them that there are
times to share and times not to share (during individual assessment) but there
would be many times when helping out a classmate would be appropriate. We also
talked about (and I modeled) the idea of not blurting out what they think is
the "right answer" while helping but instead helping the classmate think
through the problem so that they could reach the "right answer" themselves.

 -Suzanne A., for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®