From: Linda <mariall@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Service
Date: Dec 07, 2001 at 20:01:59
Subject: System of equations

I am having difficulty teaching word problems with a system of equations to my students. I don't think I was ever taught a process for solving them and I can't come up with one. I would appreciate any and all help. I have included an example problem below. Thank you. A paper manufacturer has two factories. One factory produces 800 reams of medium grade paper and 300 reams of high grade paper per day. The second factory produces 200 reams of medium grade paper and 700 reams of high grade paper per day. A publishing company has placed an order for 1700 reams of medium grade paper and 2200 reams fo high grade paper. If both factories work together to fill this order, how many days should each work on the order? Let x = the number of days for the first factory to work on the order. Let y = the number of days for the second factory to work on the order. a) Write the two equations b) Solve the system of equaions

Post a public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/