Q&A #7548

Definitions for geometry

View entire discussion

From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 21, 2001 at 05:43:41
Subject: Re: Definitions for geometry

>Is there a site where i can send the kids to get definitions on different
>geometry definitions?

There are several sites, depending on what you wish them to see.
Probably the best for professional level definitions is Eric Weisstein's World
of Mathematics page, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ where they can search
alphabetically, or by topic, but it goes very deeply into many subjects.
  Another, more dictionary-type example is the mathematical glossary at
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/RR/glossary/middle/  which is directed at middle
grade students.

  Also the Dr. Math Formula page covers lots of the ideas you may want them
to know, and is searchable for terms.

  My favorite (because it is MY page) gives the etymology of the use of the
terms, some history if I know it, and anything I think kids might be
interested in (or that I happen to think is interesting). It is far less
professional that Eric's page, rife with typos, and generally looks like a
"hobby" product, but many students find it interesting. It has approximately
550 mostly mathematical terms.

Hope some of this helps..
 -Pat Ballew, for the T2T service

Post a public discussion message