From: Pat Ballew (for Teacher2Teacher Service)
Date: Dec 21, 2001 at 05:43:41
Subject: Re: Definitions for geometry

>Is there a site where i can send the kids to get definitions on different
>geometry definitions?

Keary,

There are several sites, depending on what you wish them to see.
Probably the best for professional level definitions is Eric Weisstein's World
of Mathematics page, http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ where they can search
alphabetically, or by topic, but it goes very deeply into many subjects.

  Another, more dictionary-type example is the mathematical glossary at
http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/RR/glossary/middle/  which is directed at middle
grade students.

  Also the Dr. Math Formula page covers lots of the ideas you may want them
to know, and is searchable for terms.
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.formulas.html

  My favorite (because it is MY page) gives the etymology of the use of the
terms, some history if I know it, and anything I think kids might be
interested in (or that I happen to think is interesting). It is far less
professional that Eric's page, rife with typos, and generally looks like a
"hobby" product, but many students find it interesting. It has approximately
550 mostly mathematical terms.
http://www.geocities.com/poetsoutback/etyindex.html

Hope some of this helps..
 -Pat Ballew, for the T2T service